Tuesday, October 20, 2009

God Bless The Phils.

Last Sept. 26, I had an unforgetable experience with the typhoon Ondoy. I had to see my doctor to submit lab results and have clearance for surgery. It was continuously raining that after 30 minutes, it was already flooded at the hospital premises. When I went out to get a ride the flood was already kneehigh. I luckily got a bus ride that was able to pass thru flooded streets. When I get off, however to the junction for me to get a ride home, I had to walk thru a waist deep dirty flood waters. As I cross the road the water went deeper, good two children, living in that area guided me as we swum together with now a breast deep flood. We have to cross around 500 meters flooded area before reaching a higher land. Thanks to the two children, Margie and brother, if not for them I might not be able to make it. I joined people standing outside a Jollibee shop, their place was elevated, but sorrounded with flood. No more transportation in going home. No more power, stores and nearby establishments were all closed. It's getting dark. I called my daughter at home that I may not be able to go home, we're around six kilometers away. My daughters were so worried but good they're not flooded. I called up my son to stay at the office but they're on the way. Same stranded as their vehicle could no longer cross the flood. After a while I was low bat, so no more commuication. I prayed hard but prepare myself to stay until morning in wet clothes outside that fastfood shop until the waters subsided. After six hours of waiting, a garbage truck came to fetch us. Oh God. thanks God, I was able to get home. My son however, able to go home the following morning. We're much luckier though as Metro Manila including parts of Cavite, Bulacan and Laguna were submerged into high waters by typhoon Ondoy. Pasig, Marikina, Cainta and more parts of Rizal were strongly hit. It's flooded all over. People stayed at the rooftops while waiting to be rescued. Many rendered homeless, properties were destroyed. Hundreds died and others still missing. While people were still at the evacuation center, another typhoon came, Pepeng, this time Northern Luzon was battered. This includes Baguio, Benguet, Ilocos region and Isabela. Landslides and floods same distructed lives, plants houses and other properties. Hundreds of people died as their houses were burried down by landslides. Even Baguio city, the summer Capital was flooded and several parts of it had landslides. Roads leading to Baguio were closed due to lansdlide that they ran short even of fuel and some grocery items. While expecting typhoon Pepeng, San Roque Dams released waters that flooded several towns in Pangasinan and Nueva Ecija. Same thing happened. People stayed at the rooftops, lives, properties were lost. Flooded everywhere that people needs to be evacuated. After a while another typhoon hit Masbate and the Bicol region. Albay was flooded with waters and stones lanslided from Mayon Volcano. Another typhoon is being expected to hit northern and central Luzon anytime these days. Typhoon Ramil is said to be stronger than Peping and municipalities in the said areas are at least getting prepared. What a heart breaking scene for our countrymen crying for their lost loved ones, airing their hunger and where and how would they start their lives again. Though it's heart warming to see how filipinos unite extending their arms comforting, giving foods, clothes and medical assistance to the evacuees plus the other help and support from other countries, more especially from the U.S., who eversince never neglected the Phils., who sent their aircraft full of relief goods to Pangasinan aside from their other extended assistance. The evacuees can't still moved on from the traumatic experience they'd gone through. As some people return to their houses, cleaning the muds left by the flood, an epidemic surfaced. People who walked and swum thru the dirty flood waters and probably had opened wounds caught leptopirosis (desease from the urine of the rats), struck patients kidneys that need to have dialysis. Several hundreds of patients from all over flooded areas are now confined at the various hospitals some are crticals and around 89 died. More patients are coming. Typhoon victims are now facing another battle. God bless the Philipines.

I'm asking you friends prayers for my country, for the people to get over this delimna and an ending to this catastrophe. Thanks.

No comments: